Friday 14 July 2017

Some Ghostly goings on at Sambo's grave

                    

It's easy to miss Sambo's grave
It's a bit off the old beaten track 
There's a stone stile by the side of the footpath
If you miss it tha'll a'ta turn back

Now one of our owd lads has been looking
For a place to settle his bones, he said
when his turn comes ta leave us
Ya know, when am good and dead

I quite fancy Sunderland Point, joked th'owd lad
I like being by the sea
So he lays himself down next to Sambo
And chuckles wi mirth and glee

Ey up! comes a voice from in't ground
Your not coming in ere wi me
I've bin on me own for many a day
And I like me own company

I felt a bit lonely at first
On me own by the side of the sea
But now I've become quite famous
I'm a bit of a celebrity

Oh come on budge up said th'owd lad
You can stay in your own little bubble
I'm not after getting in't box wi ya
Honestly Sambo, I won't be any trouble

Clear off, your not coming in ere
Said Sambo ta th'owd lads displeasure
Go lay your bones somewhere else
I'm not giving in ta your pressure

I'm not done, whispered th'owd lad, just yet
I think I'll have to change tack
It's not as if there's any hurry
It'll be a while before I'm on me back

Now listen he says to Sambo, in a most congenial way
I know what it's like in winter when't skies are a darkly grey
I'll come in and see ya every day, Ill come in and make ya a brew
And I'll only stop if ya want me to. Sambo It'll be up ta you

An in them bleak cold nights
When'tvisitors have stopped coming
I'll come and wrap me arms round ya
No bones 'ad be more loving


All ya need do is gi me a knock
In't morning or during night
I'll prove more loyal than Lancelot
That good and noble Knight

But Sambo valued his privacy
More than th'owd lad had to offer
OK said th'owd lad a give up
I'll come and see ya next year

What do they call ya anyway said Sambo
Said th'owd lad me names Mike
An a don't give a dam, it's no good ta me ere
Cus there's nowhere ta lock up mi bike

Press on Press on calls our leader John
It's high tide at ten past three
We must be getting back ta't cars
Or water'll be up ta were knees

So wi said were good by's ta Sambo
An offered him were best wishes
With a wink of his eye, he said an'll make ya some soup
An Mike, you can wash the dishes 

No comments: