Tuesday 22 September 2020

Black Crag and Mirk Cove from Wasdale

                         Setting off from Wasdale Head


Add caption

   At the end of the Mosedale Valley a turn to the left took me on a path following the beck on a gradual upward slope below Pillar, until reaching a scree slope which Michael and I treated as a Ski slope in 2018, as we slalomed down it, on our way down after climbing Pillar. To say it was an arduous climb going in the opposite direction would be an understatement.

On finally reaching the top (Wind Gap). The opposite side of the gap
was just above the cloud line but the cloud was drifting back and forth. The actual path on the opposite side was completely hidden in cloud. I could hear voices coming from that direction but could not see anyone.

As I crossed the gap Ennerdale water came into view. The visibility on that side was much better.

A
Following the ridge,the cloud began to disperse as I crossed Black Crag 2649 ft and Mirk Cove 2691 ft.

           The peak of Scafell Pike can just be seen in the distance.

         And Great Gable poking its rounded head above the clouds
Scoat Tarn from Red Pike. I had intended to climb to the summit of Red Pike but time was getting on so I will have to save that for another day.
                          The way down from Red Pike.
The decision had to be made at this juncture whether to turn right and head straight down to Wasdale, (Wast water had just come into view from here), or to take the more difficult route ahead via Yewbarrow. I decided on the former.
After crossing this bridge, feeling parched, with the sound of the waterfalls in my ears, I could not stop myself from perching on a large rock and refreshing myself with another cup of coffee. Feeling less dehydrated now, I put my flask down on the rock and then, Oh no! the flask rolled off the rock and plunged into the fast flowing beck, never to be seen again.
Reaching the secluded car park by the Lake, the one that I was looking for this morning, and missed seeing..........
I now had a longish walk along the road to Wasdale Head as two fighter planes twice came roaring overhead.



 

No comments: