Tuesday 9 July 2024

NOWHERE 2

Sorry. no walk again this week. The omens are good though so we hope to be out and about next week.

In the meantime some eccentric thoughts from an idle brain.


THE BEATLES 


THE MEANDERTHALS ACCORDING TO THE BEATLES

(Words in red are the titles of Beatles songs)


DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET ?

Not many people know this but the Beatles were very fond of our group the "Meanderthals" . Indeed many of their songs where written with us in mind. But.  SShhush.  Don't tell anyone. Oh and... not sure I'm allowed to use the image above so keep shtum.

WHEN I'M 64

Very good of John and Paul to write this tribute to the elderly. I little bit late I'm afraid. 64 years old?  I wish !

WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS

Fits us exactly. As a group we have become firm friends over the years and a call for help from anyone would be answered immediately. On our walks There's always a willing crew to hold and steady a woobly stile, (Typo there but I won't change it . I rather like the word WOOBLY)  Or  even to lift a muddy booted foot over the last couple of inches of a high gate or fence

THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD

In our younger days we often followed long and winding roads but with "64" being now in the faded, distant past, our roads are straighter and shorter. Mind you ----  still feels "Long and Winding".

MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR

Sometimes the "Long and Winding Road" turns out to be longer than we planned.   We get Lost !   Well, when say lost, we're not really lost 'cause we're still somewhere on the map. This in spite of having GPS systems, Google and Ordnance Survey  maps on our 'phones. Paper maps and compasses, In fact every directional aid known to man and Meanderthal.  In the end , just like the Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour"  we get home having thoroughly enjoyed the wayward detour.

THE FOOL ON THE HILL

"There's a fantastic view from the top"

When you are on the top of the hill, gasping for breath and clinging to a tree, bush or Ordnance Survey post to stay upright, the views are of little consequence. Evil thoughts enter the mind such as........                                   

  " Which b****y idiot planned this walk?"

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER

Eventually the culprit owns up.... "I thought it would be a lovely walk with superb views.  I should have................!

GOOD DAY SUNSHINE.

I think it was Ringo who said he always thought of us when it was raining. He  sent us vibes through the ether hoping the sun would come out and the day would be good.

HERE COMES THE SUN

Obviously strong vibes from Mr Starkey. The clouds part and we are blessed with warm sunshine. People often say "It rained all day !" that rarely happens in 15 and more years we have only had 5 or 6 days when it really has rained all day " "Drummin' up a storm ?"  On a Thursday ? Not our friend R S.

YESTERDAY

With all those years behind, us walking most Thursdays, we have a lot of "YESTERDAYS"  behind us. Whilst raining all day is a rarity it certainly does rain at some point on many of our walks (This IS Lancashire) Happily, sunny days do feature too. However, I can honestly say that, in spite of the vagaries of the weather in our region, I cannot remember a walk I haven't enjoyed.

TICKET TO RIDE

As well as simply walking we do take advantage of our bus passes from time to time (one of the few advantages of being elderly) to take us to our starting point or return to parked cars  We have used trains, trams and even boats. (ferries) and whisper it very quietly....... We occasionally take to our bicycles for a day....... and whisper it even more quietly...... some of us cheat and have electric bikes

HELP !

Help  I need somebody

Help  not just anybody

Help  You know I need someone    HELP

When I was younger so much younger than today

I never needed anybody's help in anyway

But now these days are gone 

I'm not so self assured

Now I find I've changed my mind 

I've opened up the doors

Help me if you can I'm feeling down

And I do appreciate you being round

Help me get my feet back on the ground

Won't you please please help me.


Before I finish I feel and must point to another song  by another group....

"The Beautiful South" 

entitled.....

"LITTLE LIES"

"Do you mean me...lie to you ?..... as if I would."

THE END

JW




No comments: