Friday 17 October 2014

Dutton (near Hurst Green)

"Come on, if you think you're hard enough!"

Anthony promised us a nice easy walk, 4-5 miles around the Hurst Green area.



So, suitably attired for a mixture of autumnal weather, we set off. A few minutes later due to an aggressive looking bull (not the one pictured above) we made our first detour. Before long the sun came out and I started to perspire. Remember, this was only my second walk in over six months. By lunchtime I had to take off my sweatshirt. Lunch was held by a babbling brook in the dappled sunlight. Very pleasant. Slight diversion due to path apparently running out and then we had to cross the stream by rather dodgy stepping stones. Passing a long deserted watermill we emerged from the wood and met our first person who claimed he owned the wood as he never met anyone on his dog walk!!



Towards the end of the walk we came upon a field containing sheep, calves, cows and a definitely aggressive large black bull (pictured above). John Russell behaved like his namesake (Jack Russell) and tried to frighten off the bull with false confident barking!! He did keep the gate between him and the bull closed. Seeing the impasse, I wandered lonely as a cloud and found another style to bypass the field. Much safer and easier.



The walk turned out to be about seven miles long and had the equivalent of 70 flights of stairs. Compliments of my fit-bit!! I'm feeling a bit stiff today.
(Vic)

I can confirm that Vic sleeps with his 'fit-bit'!  (Anthony)



1 comment:

Meanderthal1 said...

Nice little report that vic ("patronising G**" I hear you say) full of word pictures and poetic allusions not to mention "gritty realism (sweating) We other reporters shall have to up our game.