Thursday 23 April 2020

SEE WEED

ISOLATION 5 - WILD FLOWERS


In my garden there are lots of beautiful Wild Flowers. These are also known as WEEDS ! Now this could be because I can't be bothered pulling them up,. This method of gardening is straight out of the "BONE IDLE GARDENERS HANDBOOK.
However I prefer to say it is because I like to share my garden with the natural world be it plant or animal.

Here are some of the beautiful wild flowers:-

DAISiES

DANDELIONS
BLUEBELLS

You have to admit they are all rather pretty.

It's always difficult to decide to eradicate a weed from the garden. Take nettles for example.


When you refer to your wildflower books you discover that are important to a whole host of butterflies and other insects.    Can't get rid of those.
And no self respecting nettle would be without it's accompanying Dock Plant. Nettles have a heart you know.


And this plant seems to springing up all over the garden. 


 Get rid of it ? NO ! It's called "Garlic Mustard " and the book tells me it's the main food source of the Orange Tip butterfly...…. and lo and behold what should flutter by as I contemplated it's imminent demise ? An Orange Tip Butterfly.  Reprieve !  ! !

There are some plants that although wildflowers one would not consider destroying them. Who, for instance, would get rid of Wild Strawberries which crop up all over the garden.


And there are some plants which are not weeds but behave like weeds, Aquilegia for example.  And this one does not benefit  pretty butterflies or even not so pretty beetles and earwigs.


This self seeding plant also pops up all over the garden but many people do not know that it's seeds and roots are highly poisonous. Now that's one that does need to be eradicated. Especially if there are grandchildren running round the garden.

I did say that I like to think I share my garden with the wildlife...……...


 ......but if that Wood PIgeon takes a fancy to my gooseberries or rhubarb - it is a dead bird.

May I close with the final verse from my favourite poem

"INVERSNAID" 
by Gerard Manley Hopkins

What would the world be once bereft
of wet and of wildness let them be left
Oh let them be left wildness and wet
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

John W






No comments: