Tuesday 31 March 2020

Dublin Denis

In the late 1990s I was working in The Harris Museum in Preston
and there was a display and sale of paintings by local artists. This one of Dublin Denis was painted by ex policeman Tom Tingle. I took a liking to it, so bought it and took it home. Barbara hated it.
(Some people have no taste)
Can we have a vote on it,

When Denis died in 2001 there were some articles in the paper about him


I was walking down cheepside one day and Denis was stood in a shop doorway with his fellow drinkers, they were all stood there with cans in their hands. Having bought the painting I couldn't stop myself from staring at him to compare his likeness to the picture. Denis saw me staring at him and we locked eyes, for a minute he didn't say anything, but when I carried on staring, he barred his teeth and said f--- off. So I did.

1 comment:

Jeff Hawkins said...

I like that painting.

Donate that to his local hospital for one of their visiting rooms after you get your enjoyment from it.

That's what one of the doctors here did with a painting he commissioned of a local character.

I saw it one day while visiting someone and that bought back memories of my aunt encouraging me to go have a chat with that man. I took him a quart jar of fresh Ice Water and talked for a bit.

He was smart... well educated. A very 'different drummer'. He was Alonzo Baker!