Wednesday 25 March 2020

NO WALKS? OH DEAR !

SELF ISOLATION !

With no walks to report on I shall have to bore you with something else.

Yesterday I spent doing some bits and pieces in the garden. I carried my GPS device in my pocket and much to my surprise discovered I had walked over 2 miles. As our garden is nearly 100 yards long it shouldn't have come as a surprise. Up and down twice would be nearly a quarter of a mile.

At the bottom of the garden there is a bell hanging on a tree...



Next to the back door there is another bell...



If I am needed (phone call etc.) This bell is rung and I ring the garden bell to say I have heard and am coming.

In the garden i discovered something I have read about and seen pictures of but have never seen for myself.



But what is t ?


I am fairly sure it's a thrushes "anvil" where a thrush will hammer snails against a stone (or brick) until the shell cracks and it can eat the contents. I was quite unreasonably excited by this. (sad git !)

In another part of the garden was a somewhat sadder discovery. At the foot of this tree..


were the sad remains of a "squab" (baby pigeon) which had fallen out of the nest above.


I think this is quite common as pigeon nests are very flimsy affairs of little more than a tangled platform of twigs.

Well I have probably bored you enough so I shall finish. Perhaps our other writers might put something more thrilling on line for you. 

Just a little more. Our very keen naturalist neighbour tells me that the reservoirs at the bottom of our garden. (Now a nature reserve) play host to thousands of resident and migrant birds. FOUR species of bats. Foxes Badgers and are even visited by Otters. Well, Well, Well !

JW

No comments: