Wednesday 13 May 2020

MEANDERTHALS REMEMBER No. 3

A Memorable Meanderthal Moment!

 

 

Thursday 6th October 2016

 

We had arranged to have a bike ride, led by Mike the Bike, rather than a walk.

We met on the Bae Sports Centre car park on South Meadow Lane.

We set off heading west along Broadgate following the Guild Wheel. We continued through Preston Dock estate and past Preston Motor Park and continued uphill (difficult even for an electric bike) and continued along the Guild Wheel to the Uclan Sports Centre at Cottam.

A welcome break was taken at ‘The Final Whistle’ café.

Whilst enjoying a brew, I suddenly felt dizzy and put my head between my knees to restore blood flow to my head. Then……..?

 

When I came round, I was lying on the floor being attended to by a First Aider and the Advanced Paramedic had just arrived. He diagnosed a suspected heart attack and the siren of an ambulance could be heard in the distance.

 

I was taken, in a very uncomfortable position, to the Royal Preston Hospital but, because I wasn’t in pain, I continued by ambulance under ‘blues ‘n’ twos’ to Blackpool Victoria Hospital Cardiac Centre. The diagnosis was confirmed and I was ‘stented’. One artery totally blocked and another 40% blocked!

 

I remained in hospital for 72 hours and this was the first time in my life (70 years) that I had spent a night in hospital!

 

Soon after returning home, I was ‘invited’ to attend  ‘Heartbeat’ cardiac rehabilitation gym (at PNE) initially for an hour twice a week for six weeks.  After the initial twelve session, I signed up and I now exercise there in the ‘advanced’ gym.

 

As a result of my experience, two of my relatives and another Meanderthal also attend Heartbeat regularly.

 

For me, it wasn’t quite ‘The Final Whistle’!!!


(Anthony)


PS.  It looks like the Meanderthals are 'an accident waiting to happen'!

No comments: