Tuesday 12 May 2020

D.I.Y.

ISOLATION 6  GARDEN GATES


It is sometimes said that the queen thinks the world smells of fresh paint as wherever she goes everyone has given things a lick of paint in preparation.
It has been rather like that around here as boredom has made everybody turn to DIY. Fences, sheds, doors and gates are all looking fresh and bright after being painted. 

Self isolation has even made me, an ant-DIY evangelist, turn to one or two "jobs". As far as I'm concerned DIY means breathing and eating. What else do you actually need to do yourself. (Well, I suppose, "begatting" in the dim and distant past) To me DIY = "Do Injure Yourself".
But I have been "Shamed" by over-keen neighbours into painting my garden gate (it was somewhat rusty)

Here are some rather smart gates.





You will have noticed that behind these lovely gates are equally lovely gardens (If you like neat , pretty gardens full of neat, pretty flowers)

As I was painting my gate. (having dealt with the rust)


One of our braver neighbours strolled over to tell me that everyone else had painted their gates BLACK !
With paintbrush poised I stood up and pointed out that my gate was one of the few originals left (nearly 100 years old) and the original colour was green and it would continue to be green. 
"You do like to be different John." she said and scuttled rapidly away.

So.… here is my green gate (actually rather a pale shade ….but.)

….and that is my annual DIY effort  now completed.

John W

No comments: