Monday 11 June 2018

Blencathra

Leaving the white horse behind (At Scales) I set off over the stile and up a steep ascent to another stile.

From here the path levelled out, passing through a large area of ferns before another steep rise over loose stone and rock.

At the top of this difficult climb,I stopped for a rest. From here the path rose gradually, in an easterly direction.

Before turning north, on a more level path along the side of the fell.

The first glimpse of sharp edge.

The path again went upwards, alongside the outflow stream from Scales Tarn above.




A young lady who was on holiday with her husband, kindly consented to be my photographer.

After stopping for a rest and a brew by the tarn, I set off to follow a group of walkers, who can just be seen crossing Sharp Edge


The start of the edge.

Add caption

Looking back across the edge


A selfie with the cairn behind me, but as you can see, the cairn is not at the summit. The actual summit can be seen in the distance.


The trig point, or circle.

I met the same young lady who had come up by an easier route and who was on her way to becoming my official photographer,
who again offered her services. Where it not for the clouds you might have seen Skiddaw behind me.

I chose an easier route back down to the tarn, where I stopped to have lunch whilst enjoying  this lovely view, in the warm sunshine. Lunch over I set off back for the White Horse,
arriving back at 13 30, still in lovely sunshine. I barely had time to change my boots before the sky turned black and within a matter of minutes the heavens opened. It was still raining heavily as I approached the motorway, before easing off. How unpredictable is the weather in the Lake District?

No comments: